Thursday, May 6, 2010

Q & A with Boss Hog champion Greg Wilhelm

I wrote a couple of weeks ago about in a previous post about my Boss Hog Challenge experience at Kiser's BBQ Shack. I wasn't kidding when I said it was one of the most grueling experiences of my life. The pain that I felt was unlike any other pain that I felt throughout 15 years of ice hockey and numerous years playing baseball and football. At the halfway point, I really wanted to throw in the towel, but my pride and feeling that I would be sick regardless of finishing pushed me to the end. Thankfully, I didn't go into this venture alone. My partner in crime, Greg Wilhelm, tackled the Boss Hog Challenge, too. He finished six seconds after me, and was also crowned a Boss Hog champion. I've given you an insight into my experiences, and now I'd like to fill you in on Greg's experience as well.


(Photo credit: Matt Snow, Greg Wilhelm: Boss Hog Champion, 29:54)

Matt Schuldt: How did you prepare for the Boss Hog Challenge? Did you alter your eating habits or do anything else to prepare yourself mentally?

Greg Wilhelm: My eating habits changed slightly. I decided to kickstart my metabolism with a granola bar in the morning. I didn't eat for the rest of the day. I figured if my metabolism started going, it would help, but the granola bar alone wouldn't fill me up.

MS: You've seen the Boss Hog Challenge on paper. But when the referee brings it out and you see the beast in person, what is going through your mind? Were you intimidated?

GW: It looked a lot bigger than I thought it would be. The fries in particular looked like a lot. The sandwich didn't do itself justice. It didn't look bad but there was a lot more than what I expected.

MS: Did you have a strategy when doing the Boss Hog Challenge, or did you just dig in and wing it?

GW: My first strategy was to keep the fries for last, but I developed another strategy while doing it. I began to swallow each chunk of food with a gulp of water. The water made the bites go down easier.

MS: At any point during the challenge did you feel that you would be unable to finish?

GW: Multiple times. I honestly didn't think I would finish until the last 10 seconds.

MS: How did you feel during the challenge? Were you feeling sick at all?

GW: It was the most pain my body has ever been through. It felt like I was trying to stuff two pounds worth of stuff into a bag that only fit one pound. It felt impossible. I felt like my stomach was going to burst open.

MS: Upon finishing the challenge, what went through your mind?

GW: I was extremely happy and proud, but I still felt absolutely terrible.

MS: How does it feel to be a Boss Hog champion?

GW: It's the greatest honor that could ever be bestowed upon me.

It appears that Greg and I share many of the same sentiments about our Boss Hog experience. Greg and I agree that it was an experience that we're glad we had, but it's something that we'd never do again. Your self-esteem drops for a bit, and you apologize to your body for subjecting it to such intense pain. I'm just glad that Greg was there to experience it with me so that I didn't have to go through it alone. Thanks Greg for being there with me during one of the lowest points in my life.

Greg has even become a national hero in Sweden for his Boss Hog efforts.

(Disclaimer: The video in the above link is entirely a joke. It is, however, very funny and worth a watch even though it takes 100 seconds to load.)

No comments:

Post a Comment