Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Great Debate: Best burrito in Athens

Athens, Ohio and Ohio University are known for many things. The cobblestone streets, rolling hills, Colonial-style brick buildings, and annual Halloween celebration are all things that define Athens. But, did you know Athens is also known for their awesome burritos? OK, so maybe they're not nationally recognized or anything, but any OU student will tell you that Athens is the place to be if you're in the hunt for a burrito.

The traditional Burrito Buggy has been around for over a quarter of a century. Big Mamma's Burritos came in sometime after that and stole the hearts of many OU students with their late hours and unique menu. Then, two years ago when I was a freshman, big, bad Chipotle barged into town and threatened to monopolize the burrito business. Ultimately, that did not happen and all three have been able to coexist relatively well for the past two years. The big question, however, is which place has the best burrito. Traditionalists will say the Burrito Buggy. Non-traditionalists will say Big Mamma's. As for Chipotle, well let's face it; it's almost like a cult for some people.

This won't be the first time this has been debated either. The best burrito in Athens seems to be a hot topic for OU students.



My goal is to analyze each restaurant, get some feedback from students, and then ultimately decide for myself which restaurant has the best burrito.



(Photo credit: www.athenshub.com, The Burrito Buggy)

The Burrito Buggy

PROS:
The Burrito Buggy has many things that make it great. It's been an Athens staple for over 25 years. By supporting the Burrito Buggy, you are supporting local business. The Burrito Buggy is closer to campus for those living in the dorms and stays open much later than Chipotle. They always have fresh ingredients and always give you more meat then needed. All burritos are under $5.

CONS:
The Burrito Buggy closes during winter quarter. Their menu doesn't have much variety. You can get a beef burrito, bean burrito, or veggie burrito. Outside of those three base ingredients, there's not much else.

WHAT THE STUDENTS THINK:
"Burrito Buggy is the best because it's a different meat then the other two," junior Ronnie Corey said. "They give you a lot of cheese, you don't get a bunch of unwanted rice, it's cheap, and it's fast."

"I love Chipotle, but Burrito Buggy is awesome," sophomore Chris Barkley said. "Burrito Buggy gives you so much meat. The seasoned beef is awesome, it's cheap, and I can get it quickly in between classes."

VERDICT:
The Burrito Buggy delivers an authentic, Mexican-style burrito. I don't get that sense when eating the others. The burrito has a fresh taste, but I should have ordered mine with rice. That's my fault. I'll give The Burrito Buggy props though. In my opinion, a burrito without rice usually lacks substance, but Burrito Buggy makes up for that by loading your burrito up with seasoned beef, veggies, and sour cream. Overall, a very solid burrito.

(Photo credit: www.consumer.discoverohio.com, Big Mamma's Burritos)

Big Mamma's Burritos

PROS:
Big Mamma's has the widest variety on their menu than any of the other two places and the longest hours as well. You can order a burrito with Skyline chili, buffalo chicken, bacon, and even marinara sauce. They also offer cheeseburgers and Philly cheesesteaks in the form of burritos. You can order your burrito in a baby size for only $3.75, too. Oh and I forgot to mention, there are five different salsas that you can put on your burrito, which leads me to the biggest pro of all. The mango salsa, enough said.

CONS:
A regular-sized burrito is $6, and no bigger than a Burrito Buggy burrito which costs much less. It also gets crowded with drunken kids late at night, which isn't their fault. Big Mamma's doesn't give me that authentic Mexican taste like Burrito Buggy either, even when ordering a "normal" burrito.

WHAT THE STUDENTS THINK:
"I used to be obsessed with Chipotle, but after coming here, I realize that I go to Big Mamma's way more often," senior Melissa Droske said. "They have way more options and it's cheaper."

"The Chipotle Ranch with the mango salsa is the best burrito in Athens hands down," junior Greg Wilhelm said. "If you don't get the mango salsa, you're just doing yourself a disservice."

"Big Mamma's is definitely the best," senior Andrew Kahan said. "I like that they offer alternative styles of burritos."

"Burritos come down to three things: quality, selection, and of course quantity," junior Matt Razzante said. "I have yet to try every burrito on Big Mamma's menu, which I think I did in the first week at Chipotle. Not to mention, Big Mamma's is home to the most delicious burrito of all time, the Chicken Chipotle Ranch. Enough said."

VERDICT:
I love going to Big Mamma's because I can get something different. The Chipotle Ranch Mamma with the mango salsa is incredible. The Buffalo Mamma is also a great twist to your traditional burrito. It also helps that I'm a buffalo chicken fanatic. I also like that I can get a baby-sized burrito, which you can't do at any of the other places. Sometimes I really don't feel like downing an entire 24-ounce burrito.


(Photo credit: www.bestofathensrentals.com, Chipotle)

Chipotle

PROS:
Well for starters, their burritos are definitely the biggest of the bunch. They're practically the size of footballs. They have a lot of different types of meat to choose from on their menu. You can get chicken, steak, carnitas (Mexican-seasoned shredded pork), or my favorite, barbacoa (spiced, braised beef). They offer four salsas that you can put on your burrito as well. Fresh tomato is the mildest. You can also get sweet corn, green chili salsa, or red chili salsa, which is the hottest. Also, while this has nothing to do with their burritos, the chips and guacamole are awesome. There isn't much else to say. Chipotle is simply amazing.

CONS:
Chipotle, while their burritos are the biggest, is the most expensive of the three. If I go there, I always get the barbacoa burrito, which is $6.25, and I always have to get guacamole on it, which is another $1.25. After getting a drink, my bill is almost $10. Also, double meat costs extra, where as Burrito Buggy just gives you more meat for much less.

WHAT THE STUDENTS THINK:
"It all really depends on what mood I'm in," sophomore Katie Chilcoat said. "If I'm really hungry, I'll go to Chipotle. If I'm not that hungry, I'll go to Big Mamma's and get the baby. If I don't want to walk far, I'll get Burrito Buggy. Chipotle, I would say is the best, though."

"Big Mamma's is great because it's open late, but Chipotle is definitely the best," senior Vanessa Oster said. "If I really wanted to, I think I could eat two Chipotle burritos in one sitting."

"Chipotle just tastes better," junior Nate Slany said. "It's overall better quality. Big Mamma's tastes like cheap Mexican food."

"I feel that Chipotle has a lot fresher taste to it," junior Joey Hurless said. "I feel like I could make a Big Mamma's burrito if I went to Kroger and bought the ingredients."

"Chipotle is the best by far," junior Matt Snow said. "I went to Chipotle once or twice a week for lunch in high school. Nothing will ever top Chipotle."

"I can't think of a particular reason as to why Chipotle is the best," junior Nick Wetzel said. "It just tastes better."

VERDICT:
I'm not going to lie, I love Chipotle, and I don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't like it. The burritos are filling and they're delicious. Anytime friends and I, or even my parents for that matter, go out to lunch back home, Chipotle is always an option near the top of the list. Their guacamole is incredible, but it angers me that I end up paying $1.25 extra every single time because I've got to have it on my burrito.



The point I'm trying to make is that everybody will have his or her own opinions on which is better. It's just like Pizza in Chicago. Some people like Gino's East, others like Giordano's, and others are Lou Malnati's fans. Burritos in Athens are the same way. No matter what I say or anybody else says, each place will still have their die-hard fans and loyal customers, which I think is the biggest reason that all three have been able to coexist so well.

Now for my decision. Everybody roots for the underdog. Chipotle, the overwhelming favorite going in, has been upended by Big Mamma's Burritos. Big Mamma's is cheaper and it's still a ton of food even if you order a baby. I like the ability to order a bunch of different types of things, rather than be restricted at Burrito Buggy or Chipotle. Don't get me wrong, all three are great, but Big Mamma's has emerged as my new favorite. What can I say, I guess I'm just a sucker for that damn mango salsa.

9 comments:

  1. I never realized how many selections Big Mama's had! It's, sadly, a place I have yet to enjoy. Since I am graduating at the end of fall, I'm going to have to try them before I leave the wonderful city of Athens forever. Chipotle has always been my burrito standby, and I'd like to expand my burrito choices. What would you recommend from Big Mamas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, I agree with you on Chipotle. It really is amazing and it was tough to go against it, but Big Mamma's Chipotle Ranch Mamma is great as well. If you go, I'd order the Chipotle Ranch Mamma with the mango salsa. It's my favorite burrito in Athens and also the favorite of many other people I talked to. Thanks for the feedback!

    ~Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should REALLY try to sombrero dip at Big Mamma's. I guarantee it'll be an automatic favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a really interesting article, and made me super hungry for a burrito. I love Chipotle but I can only have it every so often. I like the variety at Big Mamas, though. But it was really interesting hearing other students opinions on the burrito situation in Athens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mak, I'll definitely have to give that a try. Thanks for the recommendation!

    Christine, I agree with you about Chipotle. You can't have it too much because it really is a lot of food. Big Mamma's baby burritos are clutch when you don't feel like downing an entire 24 oz. burrito.

    Thanks for the feedback!

    ~Matt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt,

    I've recently fallen in love with the Chipotle Ranch baby burrito...

    To much disbelief of my friends on campus (and off) I had never had a Big Mamma's burrito before last week! But I have to say, it was well worth the wait.

    I'll admit, I had the preconceived notion that nothing would top Chipotle, but when I finally caved and tried out the local burrito shop, I finally realized why my friends couldn't believe it, and what, exactly, I had been missing for three years. Big Mammas has now become a very important component to my late-night adventures uptown.

    But back to my love of the Chipotle Ranch baby burrito... It's just the perfect amount to satisfy my late-night food craving, and is very reasonably priced!

    Can't wait to try the Mango Salsa!
    Great post Matt.

    - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie, you're not the only one who had preconceived notions about Chipotle. I was under the assumption that there was no way Chipotle could ever be topped. A lot of the people I talked to who are now Big Mamma's or Burrito Buggy fans were also in the same boat. I guess you can never really make an educated decision until you've head them all. Chipotle will always have it's die-hard fans, though.

    Jake, thanks for the compliment, and I'm glad you have a passion for burritos, as do I. There's more to a burrito then slamming all the ingredients under the sun into a tortilla. I was really intrigued by the Athens' burrito scene, which is what led me to do this post as my final local story. I also felt the video supplemented the post well; I stumbled on it by chance.

    Thanks again for all of the feedback!

    ~Matt

    ReplyDelete

  8. Kroger Feedback will allow the Kroger customers to share their experience through
    Kroger Feedback Survey or Kroger Survey. Kroger Satisfaction Survey offers


    Kroger Feedback Survey win to $100

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice blog, the article you have shared is good.This article is very useful. My friend suggest me to use this blog.

    kroger feedback 50 fuel points survey

    ReplyDelete