Sunday, May 9, 2010

Miller's Chicken: An Athens classic

It seems like everybody in Athens has been to Miller's Chicken. Except me. That all changed when my two friends, Ronnie Corey and Greg Wilhelm, and I went there Saturday morning before Palmer Fest. Upon arriving at the small brick building, we noticed there were no parking spots available. All of these cars couldn't possibly have been for Miller's Chicken, could they? Apparently, I was unaware of how big of a deal Miller's Chicken is in this community.

(Photo credit: Miller's Chicken Facebook profile, Miller's Chicken)

The line was out the door, so my friends and I had to wait outside for a while on an unusually chilly spring day in Athens. Before going in, I already knew what I was going to order. I told my buddy, Mason Rabbitt, who is a big Miller's Chicken aficionado, that I was going there on Saturday for my blog. He told me that I had to order the Super Chicken, which is supposedly the greatest chicken sandwich on this planet.

After ordering the sandwich with a side of cole slaw, Ronnie, Greg, and I took a seat and waited patiently. I took this time to survey my surroundings. I was amazed at how many people could fit in such a tiny place. I was also amazed at how many of the locals knew each other. Maybe it was some sort of Saturday ritual, where everyone meets at Miller's Chicken for lunch, but each person that poured in was greeted by somebody that they knew. I felt like I was immersed in the Miller's Chicken community within the Athens community; a separate society of sorts. All of the old pictures of chickens and farms on the wall gave the place a sort of nostalgic feel. I started to understand why everybody always said that Miller's Chicken truly embodied Athens.

(Photo credit: Matt Street, Miller's Chicken menu and cashier)

When my order was called, we grabbed our food and sped home because the smell of the food was killing us. I sat down on my couch, ripped open the bag and pulled out my sandwich. I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into the so-called greatest chicken sandwich on the planet. I would ultimately be the judge of that. As I took my first bite, I realized the flavor and the seasoning were unlike any other chicken sandwich I had ever had. The chicken looked like real chicken, too, not that stringy, fatty crap they give you at fast food restaurants. This is mainly because Miller's raises their own chickens. As I wolfed down the sandwich it became apparent that I actually was indeed eating the greatest chicken sandwich on the planet. My roomates and other bloggers agreed, too.

"The chicken is so much better than any other chicken I've ever had," Ronnie said. "There's no point in going to KFC anymore. You get better and more food at Miller's for the same price. I wanted to go back for more this morning but it's closed on Sundays."

Another great thing about Miller's is the price. The price is extremely generous for college students, and the menu has a wide variety of items outside of just chicken. They offer seafood like haddock, perch, or even oysters. They also have a wide variety of homemade sides from macaroni and cheese, cole slaw, and potato salad. You can check out my interactive map post for more information on Miller's prices.

"I love seafood, so I'm definitely going back for some oysters or a fish sandwich sometime," Greg said. "The only other place in Athens that has seafood is probably Long John Silver's."

Miller's really is an Athens classic. Everything I heard about it was true and then some. It's tough to really describe how good it actually is. I guess you'll have to go in and see for yourself, and I recommend you do so because it's only place where you can order the best chicken sandwich on the planet. What can I say; Miller's lived up to the hype.

5 comments:

  1. I agree completely, Miller's Chicken is great. My roommates always talked about so I finally went a few weeks ago with them and I have to say, it is delicious. Good job on going to try it for yourself! This was a good topic for a post because I feel like there are a lot of people who have never heard of Miller's Chicken, but they definitely need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine, I agree. I think because it's not on Court Street and it's a little out of the way, a lot of people don't know about it. It's definitely something I think everyone should try though before they graduate. Thanks for the feedback!

    ~Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jake, I agree with you. Small town places like this are great. I have a cabin in Wisconsin in a small town called Winchester where everyone seems to know each other. Miller's reminded me of this. I'll be definitely going to Miller's more often in the near future; it really is amazing. Thanks for the feedbak!

    ~Matt

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally had a chance to make it out to Miller's Chicken! Guess I'm getting a head start on my bucket list for next year... Anyway, it was amazing! I couldn't believe the variety they offered, and the chicken was probably the most tender I've ever tasted! Anyway, great post as always, and have a great summer!

    - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, thanks for the feedback! I feel like more people need to discover Miller's Chicken. It's the best chicken I've ever had and it's right here in Athens. Thanks again and you have a great summer as well!

    ~Matt

    ReplyDelete