Thursday, May 13, 2010

Buggies, buggies, and more buggies

The Burrito Buggy is an Athens tradition. The buggy, which has been around for over 25 years, is one of the first things you hear about upon setting foot on Ohio University's campus. I'll never forget visiting OU as a high school senior just three years ago. It seems like just yesterday, but the girl who was giving my campus tour told us we had to do two things before graduating OU: eat at Burrito Buggy and climb the rock-climbing wall at Ping Center. I'm not much for rock climbing, but I love food, and it's sad that three years later I have yet to do either of those things. I decided this needed to change and after my classmate, Anne Culhane, suggested I do a post on all of the buggies by college gate, I finally had a reason to give it a try.

(Photo credit: http://www.burritobuggy.com/, The Burrito Buggy)

While Burrito Buggy is the original and most recognizeable buggy uptown, a few new ones have recently burst onto the scene. Ali Baba's, Bagel Buggy, Zaanti, and A-Town Pies and Fries have all taken up residence in "Buggyville" by college gate. The unique thing about all of these buggies is that they all offer much different cuisine.

Burrito Buggy offers a wide variety of burritos. You can get bean, beef, or veggie buritos. On my first ever trip to Burrito Buggy, I ordered the Beef Supreme. It was loaded with beef, cheese, lettuce, tomato, olives, jalapenos, and sour cream. Because I'm a guacamole fiend, I ordered it with guacamole for $0.75 extra. Needless to say, for $5.25, I was absolutely stuffed.

"Burrito Buggy is awesome, especially late at night," junior Ronnie Corey said. "I go through withdrawals when it goes away for winter quarter."

Ali Baba's is known primarily for their gyros. The gyros come in three sizes: econo, regular, and supreme. I've had the regular and it's absolutely delicious, and a ton of food. I don't even want to know what the supreme looks like. A variety of other Mediterranean items are available on the menu such as falavel, baba ganoush, and hummus. There is also a variety of baked goods from cookies to baklava that you can order as well. The majority of the ingredients are purchased at the Athens Farmer's Market and are always fresh. You can also sample some of the items on the menu that you may not be familiar with. Ali Baba's has quickly become an Athens favorite among students.

"I go to Burrito Buggy or Ali Baba's about once a week," sophomore Chris Barkley said. "They hook you up. Burrito Buggy loads the burritos up with more than enough meet. At Ali Baba's, I always get the supreme size. I guarantee you will be stuffed after eating one of those and it's so good, too."

Bagel Buggy offers bagel sandwiches that are much different than the one's you would find at Bagel Street Deli. The bagel buggy offers many generic sandwiches in the form of a bagel sandwich. You can get a pizza bagel, ham and cheese, or even a hot dog bagel.

Zaanti is another one of the unique buggies uptown. "Zaanti" is the Sanskrit word for "peace." Zaanti offers Indian cuisine. According to an article in The Post, "[Zaanti] serves two curries with rice and salad for $5.50, and customers can add a piece of flat bread or a drink for $1 and soup for $2.50." While I've never been to Zaanti, I do enjoy curry and plan on giving it a try sometime. The thing about this blog is, there's so much to try, but so little time and money. Hopefully I get around to trying it at some point in the near future.

A-Town Pies and Fries specializes in essentially what its name suggests. This cart provides customers with slices of pizza and french fries. Although I've never had the pizza or fries, they've gotten good reviews from people around campus.

All of Athens' buggies are locally owned and operated and are some of the many interesting things that make Athens unique. Give the buggies a try, they're cheap, different, and delicious. Who knows what new buggy will surface on your next trip to "Buggyville."

4 comments:

  1. I heard from the courtstreetshuffle.com website that the Burrito Buggy was for sale. Is the Burrito Buggy still around? Did the business ever get sold?

    The Indian buggy sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the Burrito Buggy is for sale and hasn't been sold. This article in The Post also touches on the buggy's situation.

    http://www.athensnews.com/news/local-news/29689-burrito-buggy-to-take-winter-hiatus

    It is, however, still open and operating. I had it for the first time just the other day and it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Burrito Buggy was NOT the original buggy in Athens. The Bagel Buggy was started by Louie Stephenson in the late sixties/early seventies. He was my roommate on Walker Street.

    R. Mace
    macer45701@yahoo..com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randy, thanks for your correction about The Bagel Buggy - yes, I am "Louie the Bagel Man" and yes, we were roommates on (33) Walker Street! A correction to your correction - Ross London and I started the Bagel Buggy together in the Spring of 1973 - Louie Stevens (Good to hear from you, Randy!)

    ReplyDelete