Saturday, April 17, 2010

An avalanche of pizza picking up steam in Athens


Pizza is one of those foods that I feel like everybody enjoys in one way or another. Whether it be deep dish, thin crust, pizza al taglio, brick oven, etc., there are always enough varieties of crust, sauce, and toppings to keep everyone happy. As noted in my post about O'Betty's, I'm very picky when it comes to pizza. Chicago-style pizza, in my opinion, is the end-all-be-all of pizza. Athens, however, is quickly earning a reputation for good pizza in the form of Avalanche Pizza. Avalanche has gained national recognition in recent years and has won various awards, such as first place at the USA World Pizza Championships in Salsomaggiore, Italy in 2009.

Avalanche is known primarily for their signature pies, which offer a wide variety of toppings and sauces. I've tried many of these signature pies and I've never been disappointed. When I eat Avalanche, I prefer to think of them as pies and not pizzas. I like them so much, and it makes me feel better about turning my back on Chicago, even if only temporarily. Other Chicagoans apparently feel the same way about Avalanche, as evidence suggests in this review from Yelp.com:


"Coming from Chicago to the Athens area I thought one of the areas that would take the biggest hit was food, specifically pizza and Mexican. Well I have to admit that Avalanche Pizza has made me forget most Chicago pizza, its that good. From adventurous toppings and combination's to great prices this is a very good place. The crust is crisp and tasty and the toppings are fresh. When you can get a one-topping thin crust pizza and you think it doesnt need [anythign] else, its a good pie. A great place for pizza."

The thing I love about Avalanche though, is the fact that their signature pies are very different than the pizzas that I'm used to. The biggest reason that I created this blog is because I enjoy trying new foods and new combinations.

One of my favorite pies from Avalanche is the Hot Tuna Pie. The Hot Tuna Pie consists of Asiago cream, hand-cut tuna, fresh mushrooms, artichoke hearts, roma tomatoes, and a wasabi "Ninja" sauce that takes the place of your traditional pizza sauce. The tuna is an interesting alternative and the Ninja sauce gives it just the right amount of kick. Other favorites of mine include the Avalanche Ranch and the Original BBQ Chicken Pie, which I ordered today while watching my beloved Chicago Bulls fall to the Cleveland Cavaliers in game one of the NBA Playoffs. Anyhow, the Avalanche Ranch features marinara sauce with roasted chicken breast, Italian Sausage, pepperoni, ranch dressing, and a half-pound of mozzarella and provolone cheese. The BBQ Chicken Pie, however, is easily my favorite pie on the menu thus far. It includes roasted chicken, marinara sauce, bacon, cheddar cheese, and sweet BBQ sauce.



(Photo credit: www.avalanchepizza.net, The Avalanche Ranch)


Other pizzas feature everything from shrimp, to potatoes, to taco meat. The possibilities are endless at Avalanche!

Avalanche Pizza owner, John Gutekanst, also has his own blog, The Pizza Goon, where he discusses the trials and tribulations of owning a pizza place and making pizza. It's a very interesting read for those interested in what goes on behind the scenes. Avalanche is also a positive influence in the Athens community. Gutekanst cooks bread in his pizza ovens at Avalanche to help feed the hungry in Athens and surrounding areas.





I may be from Chicago, but all that means is I know good pizza...er, I mean pie...when I see it. Avalanche Pizza offers great pies with fresh, interesting ingredients, delicious crust, and savory sauces. I would recommend it to any pizza lover in search of something new. Give it a shot! You won't be disappointed!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Matt - sounds delicious. Great article! Do they serve one with alfredo sauce instead of marinara or regular pizza sauce? That's my favorite!

    I think you need to venture into venues that don't compete with Chicago so directly - sounds like you're missing this place!

    Where can you get the best burger in Athens?

    Keep up the good work!

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rita,

    Yes, you can get Alfredo Sauce substituted on any pizza in place of marinara. I've never had Alfredo on pizza before, but I love Alfredo. I'll have to try it! You should check out my new post on Bagel Street Deli; it has nothing to do with Chicago, haha.

    As far as the best burger in Athens, it would have to be Red Brick Tavern. I'll actually be doing a blog post on Red Brick in the coming weeks. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete