Tuesday, April 13, 2010

O'Betty's: Not your average hot dog


Maybe I'm biased, but I always thought that the best hot dogs were from Chicago. Having grown up there, I can honestly say that Chicago-style pizza is far and away better than any other pizza on this planet. I'm a firm believer in the mantra that, "Pizza isn't real pizza unless you have to eat it with a fork." Just as Chicago-style pizza is known for it's deep-dish style and obnoxious amounts of cheese and sauce, Chicago-style hot dogs are known for containing almost every topping under the sun. I say "almost" because O'Betty's in Athens, OH has seemingly transformed the world of your traditional hot dog toppings. Up until coming to Ohio University, I considered Chicago-style hot dogs to be the best. O'Betty's, however, has since become top dog.

A traditional Chicago-style hot dog consists of mustard, onion, sweet pickle relish, a dill pickle spear, diced tomato, diced green pepper, and celery salt, but NEVER ketchup. Putting ketchup on a hot dog in Chicago is a cardinal sin. When my little sister and I order our hot dogs with ketchup, my dad gives us this look as if for a brief second he thought about disowning us from the family, but of course my father would never do that. So, what would my father say about a hot dog covered in...cole slaw? Jalapenos? Sour cream? He'd probably think I was joking, but at O'Betty's all of this is possible and let me tell you, I love it!

O'Betty's has been a favorite between my friends and I since I was a freshman. Upon entering the small establishment, you'd think you were in a hippie hangout or a museum dedicated to the twentieth century burlesque era, rather than a hot dog restaurant. The restaurant is so small that I'd be willing to bet that it seats 20-25 people at full capacity.

(Photo credit: http://obettys.com) Restaurant interior

Despite its small size, O'Betty's has a very inviting environment. The cooks and clerks are as friendly as they come. Everytime I'm in there, they are always talking to me and asking me about my day, while cooking my food.

My roommate goes there practically two times a week, and by now he's established himself as one of the regulars.

"I go there so much that the workers know that I'm ordering a Dixie with fries before I even open my mouth," he said. "O'Betty's is by far my favorite restaurant in Athens."

The walls are lined with photos that pay homage to great burlesque stars. In fact, each hot dog is named after a burlesque star. Names range from Syra, Dixie, Lily, Varla, and many more. They also have a section that is a hot dog museum of sorts. The hot dog museum contains hundreds upon hundreds of historical hot dog items.

(Photo credit: http://obettys.com/) The Hot Dog Museum

On my trip to O'Betty's earlier this evening, I decided to try something different. My go-to hot dog is the Mata Hari, a hot dog smothered in cole slaw and chili sauce. It's delicious, and it was tough to try something new, but I was feeling rather adventurous. I went with the Tempest. The Tempest is a prime example of how O'Betty's is not your average hot dog place. It is a hot dog covered in jalapenos, hot habanero salsa, sour cream, and sharp cheddar cheese. These are two of the many outrageous combinations that O'Betty's features on its menu. Other toppings include sauteed mushrooms, mayo, swiss cheese, baked beans, bacon, and many more. Don't worry all of you traditional hot dog lovers out there, they offer "normal" hot dogs as well. The fries are also some of the best fries I've ever had, and the chili-cheese fries look like a meal rather than a snack. The food is affordable, too, ranging from $2.50 to $3.25 for a hot dog, and $2 to $3.50 for fries depending on the size and the type.

So, there you have it. O'Betty's is delicious, affordable, and a great overall dining experience. I'm not the only one who thinks so either. O'Betty's has won numerous awards and gained acclaim from other food bloggers such as CMH Gourmand. Trust me, if you're ever in the mood to try something new or exotic, or if you simply just love hot dogs, check out O'Betty's. They have such a wide variety of toppings that something on the menu ought to catch your eye. Hell, maybe I'll even convince my dad to try a hot dog covered in jalapenos. Nah. Probably not. He can stick to his guns and order a Salome. It's O'Betty's code name for a Chicago-style hot dog.

8 comments:

  1. What's up big Matt? I have to agree with your Dad, it sure seems sacreligious - a hot dog with that on it? Portillos would never even consider such a thing! But I must admit after reading your review, damn I'm hungry! Can't wait for the next review, do they have beefs in Athens? Uncle Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least I'm not hearing about ketchup on their hotdogs. You do make them sound great and worth a try even if Chicago will still be capital city for the best dogs! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncle Steve, everything's been going great down here in Athens. I'll have to admit that at first I was a little skeptical about a hot dog with these types of toppings, but they're actually very good once you give them a shot. As far as beefs go, I haven't found a place that has them, which is very disappointing. Even if I found a place that serves them, I highly doubt they'd be as good as Portillo's or Al's!

    Mom, O'Betty's does have hot dogs on the menu that include ketchup, however, you'll be glad to know that I haven't had any of those. Maybe if you guys come visit in May, we can head over there and you can try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt, Forget the hot dogs, I want some of those chili-cheese fries! I like Chicago hot dogs! I just am a whimp and like my hot dog with tomato, onions and mustard. O'Betty's sounds over the "top" with the toppings! I agree with you guys that I don't like ketchup on my dogs. Steve can get a great beef sandwhich in Arlington Heights at Johnny's Beef on Arlington Heights Road. People come from all around to get their beef sandwiches. Your review did make me want to try O'Betty's. See you soon! Aunt Kath

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your post Matt! And your concept for the blog is great too. Personally, my favorite condiment on a hot dog is Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce, but Obetty's doesn't have it! But now that I know about all their crazy combinations, I guess I'll just have to be adventurous and try something new... After 3 years living on campus, I've only been to Obetty's at night when the pick-up window is open but the rest of the place is closed. I always heard the inside was cool, but seeing the pictures and everything I was pleasantly surprised. A hot dog museum? Never would've thought. I'm definitely gonna make sure to go in there sometime! Anyway, like I said great job and keep the posts coming! I look forward to reading what you write next :) And by the way, I'm actually living in Chicago this summer for an 8 week editorial internship. I've never been to the city before, so I'd love to take any pointers you have to offer! See you in class, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aunt Kathy, the chili-cheese fries are amazing! They are definitely one of my late night favorites. All of this talk of Italian beef sandwiches makes me want to come home for a weekend to get one, but I don't think it's worth a $300 flight. I guess I'll just have to wait until summer.

    Julie, Sweet Baby Ray's is an interesting choice for a hot dog condiment, but I must say I do love Sweet Baby Ray's. I'll have to give it a try sometime. Congrats on the internship in Chicago! I'd be happy to help you with any questions you have. It really is a great city and I'm sure you'll love it. See you in class!

    Thanks for the comments everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is a great concept. I like to hear about some of the places I have never eaten at in Athens before. I always hear about Obetty's but have never been there. Judging by your pictures and blog post I must try it out! Keep up the great blog posts, I enjoy them!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda, thanks for the feedback! You really should get to O'Betty's sometime and try it!

    ReplyDelete