Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Get uptown for Uptown Grill

Uptown Grill, Athens' newest food establishment, opened a week and a half ago in the building that was formerly occupied by Grade A Notes. The walk-up window restaurant, which is right next to Buffalo Wild Wings, offers fantastic grilled items at affordable prices. According to an article in The Post, the restaurant was started by Stacy McClain, the owner of Copy Catz. The article notes that McClain and his girlfriend raise Angus cattle and he saw the vacancy next door as an opportunity to expand his business. Being that it's brand new and relatively unknown, I thought I'd check it out and give you guys a heads up.

(Photo credit: Stacy McClain, Uptown Grill)

My roommate, Ronnie Corey, had originally told me about it last week. Ronnie's from Philadelphia, and on his way to work one day, he noticed the place and saw that they had Philly cheesesteaks on the menu. Being from Philadelphia, Ronnie is as fanatical about Philly cheesesteaks as I am with my Chicago-style pizza. Ronnie, who hadn't had a Philly cheesesteak since he went home for winter break, was dying to get one so he, our buddy Greg Wilhelm, and I went earlier today for lunch to check it out.

As I mentioned earlier, it's only a walk-up window, like O'Betty's but without the inside portion. Immediately, we noticed how relatively inexpensive it was. The menu includes Angus burgers, Italian sausage, Philly cheesesteaks, chicken fajitas, grilled chicken breast sandwiches, veggie-burgers, and a banger, which is a type of bratwurst. All of these items are between $4.50 and $5. The only item that is over $5 is the Rancher's Delight, which is $8. The Rancher's Delight is a half-pound Angus burger with lettuce, tomato, onion, and cheese. Chips and drinks are also available for purchase.

Ronnie, without hesitation, ordered the Philly cheesesteak. I also ordered a Philly cheesesteak, and Greg ordered the banger. Inside the window, we saw the grill, where all of our food was made fresh right in front of us. We waited impatiently as the smell of the food and grill began to make us even hungrier. After receiving our food, we walked back to Greg's apartment to watch some TV and take our first bites of an Uptown Grill sandwich.

The food turned out to be delicious! I thought the Philly cheesesteak was great, however, Ronnie was quick to assure me that it was nothing like the real thing at Geno's or Pat's in Philadelphia. Despite lacking true Philadelphia authenticity, Ronnie did enjoy his sandwich.

"This Philly cheesesteak is really good, but it's nothing like Geno's or Pat's back home," he said. "At least I finally found a place in Athens where I can get one, and it's cheap, too."

Greg enjoyed his banger as well. We were all in agreement that Uptown Grill is definitely a cheap, affordable alternative to a Buffalo Wild Wings or Red Brick sandwich. It's also relatively fast if you're looking for a quick meal in between classes. If you're ever in the area and in need of a quick meal, I'd definitely check it out.

For more information, you can also check out their official Facebook fan page.

7 comments:

  1. You beat me to it, Matt! I was totally gonna do a post on this, haha. But nice job! I've only heard good things about this place, but I have yet to go, so this was nice to read ahead of time. Keep up the good work on your blog, and have a nice weekend :)

    - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, sorry about that! My roommate kept bugging me to go, so I figured I might as well do a blog post on it. But, it was really good and it was nice to have something new to try for a change. Thanks for the feedback and you have a good weekend as well!

    ~Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Matt, this is really cool. All of your post help people learn about more places in Athens to get some food! All of your posts are very discriptive and help the reader get the general overview of what the place is like. It's really fun to read!
    Are you going to go to any of the buggy's right by College gates? I just saw that there is a new bagel cart which I don't think was there last year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne, I am actually going to write a blog post about all of the buggy's by college gate next week. That's interesting that you mention the bagel cart. I've never noticed it before, but there are a few like the pizza one and the gyro one that are relatively new. It seems like there's a new one popping up almost each quarter. It'll be interesting to go check those out. Thanks for the feedback!

    ~Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the pics of the contest! You go Matt. Also, Happy B'day. I'll be sending a card and check soon. Woo Hoo, the big one, 21!

    Love to you,
    Aunt Kath :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm so glad you posted this because I definitely hadn't heard of it until I read this... Those prices are great! I'm so excited to go eat there.

    ReplyDelete